Dr. A H M Belayeth Hussain
Centre for Research on Women and Gender (KANITA)
Ph.D.,Social Sciences, International Centre for Development & Decent Work (ICDD), University of Kassel (Germany) 2014.
Master of Arts, Development Studies, Institute of Development Policy (IOB), University of Antwerp (Belgium) 2008.
Master of Social Sciences, Sociology, Department of Sociology, Shahjalal University of Science & Technology (SUST), Bangladesh 1998 (Graduated in December 2000).
Area of Specialisation
Labour standards, work transformations, working conditions, gender issues, work-life balance, financial inclusions and resilience, microfinance, entrepreneurship, quantitative and qualitative research.
- Hussain, A.H.M. B. (2015). Disciplinary Technologies of Microfinance Institutions in Bangladesh: Comparison of BRAC and BRDB Programs. Kassel, Germany: Kassel University Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.19211/KUP9783862198795.
- Hussain, A.H.M. B., & Endut, N. (2018). Application of SEM using Smart PLS: Examining decent working conditions of small enterprises. SAGE Research Methods Cases, SAGE Publications. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781526445698.
- Hussain, A. H. M. B. (2011). Asia. In H. Schwenken & L.-M. Heimeshoff (Eds.), Domestic Workers Count: Global Data on an Often Invisible Sector (First ed., pp.24-33). Kassel, Germany: Kassel University Press. http://www.unikassel.de/upress/online/frei/978-3-86219-050-8.volltext.frei.pdf.
- Hussain, A.H.M.B.; Endut, N.; Sultana, S. Precarious or Decent Work? Perceived Working Conditions and Life Satisfaction of SME Workers in Sylhet, Bangladesh. Preprints 2018, 2018100623 (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.20944/preprints201810.0623.v1).
- Hussain, A.H.M.B.; Endut, N.; Das, S.; Chowdhury, M.T.A..; Haque, N..; Sultana, S.; Ahmed, K.J.. Does Financial Inclusion Increase Financial Resilience? Evidence from Bangladesh. Preprints 2018, 2018100658 (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.20944/preprints201810.0658.v1).
Indexed peer-reviewed journal articles
- Hussain, A.H.M. B., Endut, Noraida & Others (2018). Does financial inclusion increase financial resilience? Evidence from Bangladesh. Development in Practice, Routledge. (forthcoming) [Web of Science + Scopus]
- Hussain, A.H.M. B., & Endut, Noraida (2018). Factors influencing working conditions of small enterprises in Sylhet City, Bangladesh. Development in Practice, Volume: 28, Issue: 01, pages 138 - 151. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.1080/09614524.2018.1404008. [Web of Science + Scopus]
- Hussain, A.H.M. B., & Endut, Noraida (2018). Do decent working conditions contribute to work-life balance of small entrepreneurs in Bangladesh? Asia Pacific Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Volume: 12, No.: 1, pp. 90-104. Emerald Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1108/APJIE-04-2018-045.[Web of Science]
- Hussain, A.H.M. B (2018). Governing techniques of micro finance institutions in Bangladesh: testimonies of field staff. SOCIOLOGUS, Duncker and Humblot (In revision). [Web of Science + Scopus]
- Haq, S. M. A., Abebe, A., Verhasselt, K., & Hussain, A. H. M. B. (2011). Unequal Ecological Exchange and its Underlying Causes. Journal Environmental Protection and Ecology, 12(2), 698- 707. Sofia, Bulgaria. [Scopus]
- Hussain, A. H. M. B. (2010). Embodiment and Emotionality of Women Credit Clients: Scrutinizing Agency Constraints of BRAC Microcredit Clients in Sunamganj, Bangladesh. Asian Social Science, 6(11), 3-16. Toronto, Canada. [Scopus]
- Haq, S. M. A., Vanwing, T., Hens, L., Hussain, A. H. M. B., Akhtaruzzaman, M., Chowdhury, T., & Hussain, M. A. (2010). Perception of Environmental Degradation and Family Size: A Comparative Study on Married Men and Women (Indigenous People) in Bangladesh. International Journal of Sustainable Development, 1(6), 33-41. Toronto, Canada. [Scopus]
Other peer-reviewed journal articles
- Hussain, A.H.M.B. (2017). Financial inclusion through mobile micro banking: building a prototype for transaction cost efficiency in micro-finance practice. Global Disclosure of Economics and Business. i-Proclaim, Malaysia.
- Hussain, A. H. M. B., & Deb, N. (2016). Gender-sensitivity of Bangladesh PRSP: A Gender Scanning. SUST Journal of Social Sciences, 25(2), 43-55. Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- Hussain, A. H. M. B. (2010). Engendering Development: Where does it Stand? SUST Studies, 12(1), 9-14. Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- Hussain, A. H. M. B., & Sultana, S. (2010). Projonon Swasthasheba Shomporke Grohitader Sontusthibudh: Sylhet Shohorer Projonon Shebadankari Prothisthaner Grohitader Upor Ekti Gobeshona. SUST Studies (Bengali Version). Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- Hussain, A. H. M. B., & Sultana, S. (2010). Kormojibi Narir Khomotayon: Sylhet Shohorer Banking Khate Kormoroto Narider Upor Ekti Shomikkha". SUST Studies (Bengali Version). Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- Hussain, A. H. M. B., & Ghani, M. A. (2006). Theoretical Anarchism in Sociology. SIU Studies, 1(1). Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- Hussain, A. H. M. B. (2005). Urban Informal Occupants in Sylhet City: A Study of Social Exclusion Approach. SUST Studies, 7(1), 65-71. Sylhet, Bangladesh.
Hussain, A. H. M. B. (2012). Disciplinary Technologies in Microfinance Strategies. In: Decent work and Development Glossary, ICDD, University of Kassel, Germany.
Hussain, A. H. M. B. (2011). Constraining Factors of Women's Agency in Microcredit Operations: The Case of BRAC's Project in Bangladesh. Exchange to Change, 6-8. University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- PRINCIPAL RESEARCHER: Transforming through empowering: safety remediation using digital helpline in the ready-made garment sector in Bangladesh. (Active, 2018-2021).
- PRINCIPAL RESEARCHER: Decent work indicators revisited in ready-made garment sector in Bangladesh. (Active, 2018-2020).
- PRINCIPAL RESEARCHER: Discrimination, harassment and health status of employees in selected countries. (Active, 2018-2019).
- PRINCIPAL RESEARCHER: Mobile banking and financial resilience in wetland ecosystem: A case of haor basin in Bangladesh. (Active, 2017-2019).
PRINCIPAL RESEARCHER: Does perception about precarious works influence satisfaction with life of SME workers? Study in Sylhet Division, Bangladesh. (Completed, 2016-2018).
PRINCIPAL RESEARCHER: Does financial inclusion increase financial resilience? Evidence from Bangladesh. (Completed, 2016-2017).
- Ph.D. candidate: Mr. Md. Amdadul Haque, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Studies, Shahjalal University of Science & Technology, Bangladesh. (Thesis title: Role of Social Network and Leadership Management in Climate Risk Adaptation: A Study on Haor Basin Areas in Bangladesh).